Tuesday, March 17, 2009

John's Big Deck



I was a little more than excited to try this local eatery for an unexpected, mid-week lunch outing. It's a place I've been meaning to try for over a year but just haven't gotten around to it. After the actual experience I realize that if I only ate at John's Big Deck everyday, I would have finished about 3 meals in the past year. See below.

11:54 a.m. -- We arrive at John's
12:02 p.m. -- We order our St. Patty's Day beers.
12:07 p.m. -- We order our food. This is where it gets complicated. And by complicated I mean all 6 of us order the exact same thing, boneless wings and fries.
12:32 p.m. -- The first question of "where the fuck is our food" is asked.
12:41 p.m. -- Second beers our ordered as we're assured our food is "almost ready."
1:05 p.m. -- All second beers have been consumed and by this point we just want to get the fuck outta there so we ask for and pay our tabs.
1:16 p.m. -- JJ asks if we can just get our money back since we still have no food.
1:25 p.m. -- Our food finally arrives without the courtesy of an apology or an offer to make it right. We proceed to leave as soon as our boxes are secured.

Now, to it's credit, the boneless wings and fries were really, really good. But this was by far the worst lunch experience I've had since I moved downtown. As we continued to watch other people sit down, order their food, eat their food, pay for their food, then leave, we at least had some good conversation to rely on to keep us busy.

As a former server, I am just amazed that our waitress and the manager didn't do anything to make our awful experience right. Not an apology, not a discount, nothing. And believe me, they weren't even close to busy. Our lunch crew tries to eat at local places whenever we got out but I think it's safe to say that John's is checked off our list of options.

On a lighter note, look for the next installment when I discuss why you should never, ever clip your fingernails at work...and then keep them in your desk.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Now I can say I know someone, anyone, that has actually eaten at John's. And ewwww on the upcoming topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can see why many haven't tried it. It's definitely worth a shot for the food. Just be prepared to wait at least an hour before you're served a platter of 8 minute boneless wings.

    ReplyDelete