Sunday, March 29, 2009

Should I stay or should I go?


Sorry for the brief absence. I've been caught between March and madness and March sadness in the past week and have ignored any reason to write. My Jayhawks were sent packing at the hands of Michigan State. I can't say I didn't see it coming as I have Michigan State in the title game of my office pool to face, and eventually lose to North Carolina.

It wasn't disappointing to see my boys lose, but the way they lost was tough. Leading the entire game only to collapse after the under 4 timeout was slightly gut-wrenching. It is true that they will be back next year as a better, more experienced group. That is, if the rumors are true about Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins staying with the eminent commitment of "Born Ready" Lance Stephenson at Tuesday's McD's All American Game. This could be a extremely special group.

In my opinion that means next to nothing, I think Cole should definitely hang around for another year. His post moves are borderline elementary for the collegiate level and he needs to add some strength to handle the rigors of a full college basketball season.

Sherron on the other hand should bid farewell. His stock isn't going to get any higher than it is right now. He's an undersized powerhouse that doesn't have much to prove. Everyone that watches him knows he can turn the game around, for better or worse, in the blink of an eye. He's always going to be prone to turnovers just like he's always going to bring his Chicago toughness when he steps onto the floor. Selfishly I hope he stays but nobody can be upset if he decides to provide for himself his young child.

Whatever happens in the next few weeks you can be sure that the Jayhawks will again be a team to be reckoned with in '09-'10.

No comments:

Post a Comment